DIGITAL NOMAD VISA
Digital people or so-called those using IT systems to perform their work can (as an employee or freelancer) to apply and to enter in Romania based on a digital nomad visa in Romania.
Romania joins other countries enhancing traveling and work for digital nomads, totalling 41 countries all over the world, the number being increasing as of the Covid-19 pandemic started, including Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cabo Verde, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Croatia, Curaçao, Czech Republic, Dominica, Estonia, Georgia, Germany, Iceland, Malta, Mexico, Montserrat, etc.
Key take away:
Digital nomads are individuals hired in a company abroad Romania providing services via IT means or individuals who own a company registered outside Romania in which he/she provides services through the use of IT means and can carry out the activity of an employee or the activity within the company remotely
Key conditions for digital nomads to get their visa:
Digital nomads wishing to stay in Romania for a longer period of time must meet the following two conditions:
- to have means of subsistence obtained from the activity they carry out, amounting to at least 3 times the average gross monthly salary in Romania (approximately 1,230 Euro) for each of the last 6 months preceding the date of submission of the visa application, as well as for the entire visa period
- to carry out activities from a distance, using IT means.
Where is the digital nomad visa obtained from:
Digital nomad visa is granted by the diplomatic missions and consular offices of Romania in the country where the digital nomads have their residence or domicile. A list of the consular offices of Romania is available here: https://www.mae.ro/romanian-missions
- the employment agreement with a company registered outside Romania, showing the manner of services being provided, by using IT means or remotely for at least 3 years on the date of her/his visa application outside Romania,
- excerpt of the company showing the identification and contact details of the company, object of activity, the individual membership into the company as a shareholder
- shareholding in the company and information on the company’s legal representatives,
- letter of intent including the scope of the trip to Romania and the activities that the foreigner intends to carry out in Romania, etc.
- proof of payment of a fee of 120 euros.
After entering Romania, the digital nomad applies for a residence certificate. This certifies the right to stay in Romania and can be obtained from the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration in the county where the digital nomad lives.
The residence permit for digital nomads is granted for an initial period of 6 months and thereafter it can be extended for periods of up to 1 year.